Sunday, September 23, 2012

Brooklyn Nets: 30 Pictures In 30 Days - Barclays Minus 6 Days

From the desk of:   THE HOOPS OF FLATBUSH





 
BROOKLYN NETS
 
 
 
 
BARCLAYS CENTER
 
T-Minus Six Days
"Lets Raise It Up the Flapole"
 
 
 
SERIES: THIRTY PICTURS IN THIRTY DAYS
 
 
*
September 21, 2012

 
*
 
 
 
 
 
Sept. 23, 2012
From Sunday's New York Daily News:
 
Above: 
Article by Rich Calder
Photo: Paul Martinka AP
 
 
Okay, please allow me to start the debate.  I do not dispute anything Rich Calder says in his article.  There are two flag poles from Ebbets Field in question.  One flagpole; pictured below above the Phillip Morris and Schaefer signs; stood in right/center field above the scoreboard.  The other; pictured inset above; was perched atop Ebbets Field's roof.
 
 
It is true.  The flagpole from center field wound up on Utica Avenue.  I visited it as a young teenager.  My baseball team used to frequent an indoor batting cage located on that block.  Before heading inside, coach made us pay respect.  It was affixed to the side wall in the alley, with an accompanying plaque designating it as such.
 
 
Here's my version.  The flagpole stayed in the possession of the church, which used to be a VFW POST.  But the Pastor fell on hard financial times and considered selling the flagpole to raise money.  The buyer was undisclosed and took it away on a flatbed truck as recently as three or four years ago.  At the time when I spoke with the business owner next door, he told me the truck pulled away perhaps two weeks prior to me showing up looking for it again.  I remember my dismay because after all these years, I missed an opportunity to photograph the flagpole by mere weeks.  The church since closed down as well.
 
 
At the time, no one knew who purchased it, for how much, or where it was taken to.  The gentleman next door suspected it was headed upstate and paid somewhere in the neighborhood of five figures.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Mike.BTB

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say what you feel. The worse comment you can make is the one you do not make.