Thursday, January 14, 2021

Brooklyn Nets: Sean Marks Moves In For The Kill With Trade For James Harden

From the desk: THE HOOPS OF FLATBUSH

JAMES HARDEN COMING TO BROOKLYN

Big trade!

Sean Marks finally has his Big Three.

Am I happy about it?

Not at all ...

Let me be clear: I am not a fan of James Harden.  Rather, I was a huge fan of Caris LeVert and Jarrett Allen in particular, as both were groomed in Brooklyn, and yes, I do believe the Nets could have won with them.  Now, two of my favorite players are gone and replaced with someone I do not like.  I've been in lockstep with every one of Sean Marks' moves, until now.  But that's my problem.  I'll just have to grit my teeth and bear it. 

After the mess left behind by former general manager Billy King, Sean Marks did a brilliant job of stripping down the Nets and building them back up.  This is a very aggressive transaction and I trust Marks.  Therefore, I'll credit him with moving in for the kill.  A trio of Kevin Durant, Kyrie Irving, and James Harden can prove deadly together.  Expectations certainly are high, meaning the Nets are in contention for a title, or not. 

HELLO
  • James Harden
  • Cleveland's 2024 #2 draft pick.
GOODBYE
  • Jarrett Allen
  • Caris LeVert
  • Rodions Kurucs
  • Taurean Prince
  • 2022 #1 draft pick
  • 2024 #1 draft pick
  • 2026 #1 draft pick
  • Pick swaps with Houston in 2021, 2023, 2025, and 2027.

While savvier than the trade which brought Kevin Garnett and Paul Peirce to Brooklyn, I'm once again pondering the surrender of numerous draft picks.  Granted, if Sean Marks nails this, draft picks become an inconsequential matter.  But I still think the picks spanning 2025 through 2027 are just too much.

I see little value in a (presently out of shape) player whom Mike D'Antoni allowed doing as he pleased.  Sure, he won several scoring titles, but where did that get Houston?  If the Nets were already struggling on the defensive boards, the departure of Jarrett Allen only exacerbates the problem.  We Go Hard now takes on a different meaning.  Defense is to Harden as Practice was to Allen Iverson.  

In any event, D'Antoni is reunited with Harden, while Harden is reunited with Kevin Durant.

Now, if only the Nets can get Kyrie Irving back into the fold and help unblur Sean Marks' vision.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say what you feel. The worse comment you can make is the one you do not make.