Wednesday, June 15, 2011

N.Y. METS ~ The Night The Impossible Happened; Seaver Traded

From the Desk of:  HEAD-BUTTING MR. MET


NEW YORK METS:  June 15, 1977; the Day The Mets Traded Tom Seaver.


The memory of that day is still too painful; even now, a full 34 years after the fact.  I was 11 years old.


More so than the trades of Rusty Staub and Tug McGraw, the trade of Tom Seaver wounded me like no other occurrence in Mets' history.  That, and having to endure my favorite Met; Jerry Koosman; suffer through a 20-loss season were more than an 11 year old should have been made to suffer.

Oh the pain!

When the Mets announced they'd let Met fans purchase bricks to be placed in front of Citi Field, my wife the Yankee fan, wanted to get me one.  As a joke I told her to get "1977 Still Hurts!" inscribed on it.  But the more I thought about what I had actually said, the quicker I came to the decision to let it rip!  I may have been mad at the time about Fred Wilpon's shrine to the Dodgers.  But something during those days triggered that 1977 response from me.

It might stand as the only negative speaking brick in the lot, but I do not regret my decision to let it fly.  I'd even bet that many Met fans my age or there abouts, stumbles across it from time to time and nods quietly to him/herself in acknowledgement of not only the trade, but that whole season; and the ensuing era.






If you're a glutton for punishment, (like I am), and want to see and relive parts of that Summer of '77 - Visit:


They are the leads in today's commemoration of this fateful anniversary in Mets' history.  And having been reminded of that day, instead of throwing my brick through my TV, I figured I show it to you first.


Let's Go Mets!!




Mike.BTB

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say what you feel. The worse comment you can make is the one you do not make.