Friday, August 03, 2018

Long Island Ducks Honor Bud Harrelson

From the desk of:  THE WEBBED SPIKES NINE


BUD
3
HARRELSON

Long Island Ducks Retire Bud Harrelson #3 Jersey

For as long as I've been a Mets fan, so too have I been a fan of Bud Harrelson.  He is my forever shortstop since 1974 and counting.  As was the case with so many other of my favorite Mets players of that era, this forlorn little kid cried when it also came Buddy's time to go ... traded away to the dreaded Philadelphia Phillies.

After retiring as a player, Bud Harrelson returns to the Mets organization in 1984 as a minor league manager.  After which he serves as third base coach for the 1986 champions, followed by a turn as Mets manager after Davey Johnson is let go in the midst of the 1990 season.

In his next career, Buddy would become one of the main spearheads in bringing professional baseball to Long Island as the continuing part owner of a very successful Ducks enterprise.  It was at Bethpage Ballpark that I was able to meet one of my childhood heroes.  In fact, I met him there twice over the years.  And I am extremely thankful.

In 2016, Buddy was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease.  Along with Ed Kranepool, and Tom Seaver who may not be feeling that well these days, I offer them, their families, friends, and loved ones, my heart-felt thoughts and ongoing well wishes.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Say what you feel. The worse comment you can make is the one you do not make.