Friday, May 31, 2019

N.Y. Yankees: Rain Makes The Grass Grow

From the desk of:  BLAME CARLOS MAY



GAME CALLED

Same thing, different year.  Another series beset by rain.

Midway through last season's Yankees/Red Sox game on May 10, 2018 (pictured above), heavy rain began falling with no let-up in sight. 

Heading out this evening and angry sky above stood poised to unleash wet fury upon everything below.  But I ventured out nonetheless.  Since I prefer taking the train to Yankee Stadium, it wasn't until crossing the Manhattan Bridge that I regained phone service and fortuitously learned Thursday evening's game had been postponed.  Thank goodness.  Had I blindly continued all the way through to Bronx I would have been pissed.  Odds are I would have likely killed some time tipping one over at the pub just for chips and giggles.  Luckily I was able to reverse course at the first Manhattan side station, and arrive home in time to have dinner with the wife instead.  Said another way, all is well that ends well.

Every so often days of inclement weather and rain delays turn out being some of my more memorable times spent at ballparks.  Since I'm a kid, I always treated rain delays as opportunities to explore.  Once upon a time a younger man would have also been content sitting around, talking baseball with anyone willing to engage, or just watching the grass grow until getting forced out by security.  These days this older dude is more inclined to race back home, catch some west coast games, and ride my Trolley.

April of last year (pictured below), I quite literally had Fenway Park all to myself.  Give me bad weather and another team's ballpark, and I assure you I'll be the first one there. 



April, 15, 2018
FENWAY PARK
Boston



Baltimore is another recent example.  I try going there once a year.  This one day was particularly raw - those misty chilly days I love so much.  I had four tickets and invited two friends which left me with one in pocket.  They know me well, and therefore expected me taking off on one of my picture taking adventures.  I not only left them behind, I left Camden Yards all together.  At some point I crossed the street making my to Pickles and that little bar scene they got going there.  I reentered the stadium with my extra ticket only to find my two buds huddled together under an Orioles blanket they obtained by filling out a credit card application.  I have that picture archived somewhere in a shoe box.

Rain Makes The Grass Grow




No comments:

Post a Comment

Say what you feel. The worse comment you can make is the one you do not make.