Not your average mundane Monday.
Sporting identical 27-22 records, the L.I. Ducks and Somerset Patriots woke up Monday morning locked in a tie for the Liberty Division lead.
But that changed by sundown...
Long Island was idle Monday, while out in Pennsylvania visiting Somerset versus the Lancaster Barnstormers was the only scheduled game in town.
The Patriots were able to piecemeal four runs runs (three unearned), while starter Donovan Hand and a squad of five Somerset relievers limited Lancaster to just a pair. Their 4-2 victory in turn nudged the Patriots a half game in the standings above the Ducks.
Long Island, meanwhile, was busy traveling home from Southern Maryland after taking a weekend series over the Blue Crabs. They will now open a seven game home stand on Tuesday, starting with a three game series against the New Britain Bees, followed by a four game set against Lancaster.
Somerset will be hosting the York Revolution and the Southern Maryland Blue Crabs. The combined record of the Ducks next two opponents is 49-48, while the Patriots next two opponents own a sub par 47-51 record.
The Ducks, however, so far haven't fared very well against their next two opponents:
- They dropped 2 of 3 games against the Bees back in April, then split four games at Bethpage Park in May.
- Long Island opened the month of May with a sweep over the Barnstorms, who then reciprocated with their own three game sweep over Ducks as the calendar flipped to June.
Splits: Long Island Ducks vs. Somerset Patriots
- ERA - LID second best; SOM third best.
- WHiP - LID #1; SOM second best.
- Average Against - LID #1; SOM fourth best.
- SLG Against - LID third best; SOM fifth best.
- HR Allowed - SOM fourth least; LID fifth least.
- ER Allowed - LID second least; SOM third least
- Hits Allowed - LID #1; SOM fifth least
- Walks - SOM #1; LID fifth least.
- Strikeouts - LID #1; SOM third most.
- Average - LID #1; SOM sixth best.
- OBP - LID second best; SOM fourth best.
- SLG - LID second best; SOM fifth best.
- Runs - LID #1; SOM second most.
- Hits - LID #1; SOM fifth most.
- Home Runs - SOM fourth most; LID sixth most.
- Walks - SOM #1; LID sixth most.
- Total Bases - LID second most; SOM fifth most.
On the mound, Long Island hurlers lead the Atlantic League with the fewest hits allowed, as well as WHiP, average against, and strikeouts. Yet, they've issued more walks and surrendered more home runs than have the Patriots. While at the plate, Somerset has conversely drawn more walks and hit more home runs than have the Ducks. The Patriots also lead the league in stolen bases, and have more than doubled Long Island's base thefts. Otherwise, the Ducks hold an edge (albeit slim in many cases) in nearly all key pitching and batting categories.
So what's the hold up guys?