KNOW YOUR CYCLONES
BROOKLYN CYCLONES: Try, try, and try again; Jay Jabs' seventh inning stroke propels Coney Islanders to first victory of new season.
The first weekend of Cyclones baseball is in the books. And perhaps Coney Island's annual Mermaid Parade best symbolized just how odd Brooklyn's two games against the Yankees, and series opener against the Valley Cats really were.
Opening Day featured an absurd 20-inning marathon at Coney Island, won by the Yankees. The Cyclones were then no-hit through 10 innings during a 2-1 loss on Saturday in the Staten Island end of their home and home opening series. The occasion marked the second time the Cyclones were no-hit in their sixteen year history.
On Sunday, Brooklyn hosted the Tri City Valley Cats, and again were limited to just a pair of hits through the first six innings. Tri City finally broke a scoreless tie in the top of the seventh, taking a 1-0 lead off reliever Alejandro Castro. The Brooks came right back in the bottom of the frame, taking a 2-1 lead on a 2-RBI single by third baseman Jay Jabs, making his Cyclones debut. Reliever Taylor Henry made that lead stand with two scoreless innings for his first save of the season.
...and the Brooklyn Cyclones' first victory of the season..!
Know Your Cyclones
Manager Tom Gaboa, now in his third season as Cyclones manager, will have a pair of fresh faces on his staff. Joining bench coach Edgardo Alfonzo, who has been with Gamboa since 2014, former Cyclone Sean Ratcliffe will serve as this year's hitting coach. He coached with Kingsport last season. This will also be Billy Bryk Jr.'s first season as pitching coach, who previously padded his resume in the independent circuits.
Coach Gamboa's record:
- 2014) 42-34; third straight season no playoffs.
- 2015) 33-43; first losing record in Cyclones history.
- Overall Record: 75-77 (.493)
Per the 2016 Game Program (first edition) and Cyclones website/roster: Nine of this year's Mets top eleven amateur draft picks are due to report to Brooklyn - most of which remain unsigned at last check. There's also Kingsport of the Appalachian League to consider, who open their season on June 23rd. Many of this year's Cyclones are last year's Appalachian League Mets.
Cyclones players who've thus far seen action through the first three games of the season:
- 1st Update Monday 6/20
- 2nd Update Tuesday 6/21
- 3rd Update Wednesday 6/22
- Friday - RHP Gabriel Llanes, 20, pitched one game for BK last season. Made 11 combined starts in 2015 w/ GCL and Kingsport.
- Saturday - RHP Harol Gonzalez, 21, led Kingsport in innings pitched.
- Sunday - RHP Merandy Gonzalez, 20, 2.82 ERA in 44.2 innings at Kingsport.
- Monday - LHP Joel Huertas, 20, last two seasons with GCL Mets.
- Tuesday - RHP Erik Mahoah, 20, Kingsport
- LHP Adrian Almeida, 21, 9.2 K/9 Kingsport; potential Loogy.
- RHP Dillon Becker, 22, Kingsport; potential bullpen stud.
- RHP Bryce Beeler, 23, missed all of 2015, last pitched at Kingsport in 2014.
- RHP Nicco Blank, 23, second year with Brooklyn; already made 11 appearances with Columbia Fireflies this season.
- RHP Alejandro Castro, 23, GCL.
- LHP Gabriel Feliz, 23, Kingsport.
- LHP Taylor Henry, 22, made one appearance for PSL this season; Kingsport.
- RHP Raul Jacobson, 24, pitched 5 combined games for Brooklyn and GCL last season.
- RHP Joseph Zanghi, 21, drafted last year by Reds; made his pro debut this season.
- RHP Nabil Crismatt, 21, Kingsport.
- RHP Justin Dunn - 1st round pick/2016 - signed
- LHP Anthony Kay - 1st round pick/2016
- RHP Austin McGeorge - 7th round pick/2016
- RHP Chris Viall - 6th round pick/2016
- RHP Gary Cornish - 19th round/2016
- RHP Adam Atkins - 18th round/2016
- C Brandon Brosher, 21, second season with Cyclones; played one game this season with PSL.
- C Ali Sanchez, 19, played mostly with GCL Mets.
- C Dan Rizzie - 13th round draft pick/2016; making his pro debut.
- C/1B Darryl Knight, 22, seven home runs in 110 at-bats with Kingsport.
- P/1B Dionis Paulino, 21, GCL.
- 2B Santo Marte, 22, only 15 games played last two seasons.
- 2B Nicholas Sergakis, 23, drafted in 23rd round/2016; making his pro debut.
- SS Dale Burdick, 20, played four games with Binghamton this season.
- SS/3B Yeffry De Aza, 19, batted .313 in 99 at-bats at Kingsport.
- SS Colby Woodmansee - 5th round draft pick/2016; making his pro debut.
- 3B Franklin Correra, 20, Kingsport.
- 3B Jay Jabs, 21, drafted 17th round/2016; making his pro debut.
- 1B Peter Alonso - 2nd round pick/2016
- SS Michael Paez - 4th round pick/2016
- 3B Blake Tiberi - 3rd round pick/2016 Signed
- LF Vincente Lupo, 22, already played 25 games with Columbia Fireflies this season; played 93 games with Savannah last season.
- LF Hengelbert Rojas, 22, second season with Cyclones.
- LF/CF Enmanuel Zabala, 21, second season with Cyclones; appeared in four games with Columbia Fireflies this season.
- CF Jacob Zanon, 20, drafted in 15th round/2016; making his pro debut.
- RF Arnaldo Berrios, 20, Kingsport.
- RF Gene Cone - 10th round pick/2016; making his pro debut.