Friday, August 20, 2010

Remembering Gil Hodges

When my team (NYM) fades in the standings, I usually go running for the shelter of the Past to feed my baseball fix.  Yesterday I was in the neighborhood of Ebbets Field (I usually always speak of her in the present *sigh*).  I also visited Holy Cross Cemetery later that afternoon.  Gil Hodges and Edward McKeever rest there.

Back in the early and mid-70's I lived on a block (a dead-end block as we call it ~ GREAT For StickBall!!  I digress) that bordered the cemetery; East 45 Street.  I don't remember, but my neighbors in the years since 1972 told me of the incredible sight which was the procession bringing Gil to Holy Cross.  It passed our block.  I was 5 yrs old when he left us.

Growing up in Brooklyn, I played games at Gil Hodges Little League Field on Shell Road.  I used to hang out as a teenager and actually bowled (just because it was close to the house I suppose) in Gil Hodges Lanes, when it was still located on Ralph Avenue.  Upon entering the Bowling Alley and immediately on the left was a display case with some memorabilia including one of Gil's GOLD GLOVE awards.  Gil Hodges Lanes is in a different part of the neighborhood now, over on Mill Lane.  I plan on checking to see if they brought the display case over to the new place.  When I speak the old lanes of Ralph Ave, I'm speaking 25+ years ago.  So I'm going to look into that.

I used to and still go to Jacob Riis Park/beach in the Rockaways.  It's just on the other side of the Gil Hodges Memorial Bridge.  That bridge connects Brooklyn with the Rockaways/Queens.

Gil Hodges still remains a real part of our lives in Brooklyn.  OldBrooklynFan ~ Don't you agree?

A drive down Bedford Avenue towards SheepsHead Bay to get some clams or fried Calamari? -  Are you kiddin me?  Fugheddaboudit!  Every time I drive on Bedford Avenue my mind wanders to another time and place; back to Bedford and Sullivan.  The grip is strong on this Grasshopper. 

Bedford Avenue is named Gil Hodges Way.

Joan Hodges, his beloved wife, still manages to attend a Brooklyn Cyclones (NYM-class A) in Coney Island every once in a while.  Gil Hodges' number 14 is also proudly retired and displayed over the lux boxes at MCU Park along with a few other fellow Bums.

Yeah...he managed my Miracle Mets to a championship, and of course that just adds to his Legend around here.

It's easy to tell Gil Hodges still continues to enrich our lives on a daily basis throughout Brooklyn.

As a 5 year old and a 6,7,8 and 9 year old I couldn't have been any closer to him, or him to me, literally.  He remained a part of my life as I previously explained.   And I feel every drive down Bedford Ave is an opportunity for me to express my unyielding and never ending respect for the person they called,

The Quiet Man.











I've been feeling a little 55 Since 55 ' ish lately.
This is also another opportunity to thank Emma over at:
for sending me the patch.




The Cyclones remember Gil.


*wiki pic ~ Gil Hodges Memorial Bridge


One of my most prized posessions.


*****************************************************


Here Rests Edward J. McKeever;
Dodgers Baseball Club of Brooklyn


Born 1859; Brooklyn ~ Passed 1925; Brooklyn


For OldBrooklynFan, Emma
and Everyone blogging over on
"Inside the Dodgers"
...for your eyes only (kinda).


Mike.BTB

6 comments:

  1. That was poetic. Damn, I've got to get to Brooklyn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you do ever get out here...Let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike,
    Wonderful post down memory lane! Love it!
    Hey! My friend Lorena and I are talking about going to New York next year to check Yankee Stadium and Citi Field. Another lady that sits in the Top Deck, same aisle as we do might come along.
    Emma
    http://crzblue.mlblogs.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous7:58 PM

    praying for GIL HODGES A TRUE HALL OF FAMER

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous3:04 PM

    Working on a school project with my son. Chose Gil Hodges out of respect for his grandpa a diehard Brooklyn Dodgers fan. Gil Hodges was his favorite player. My son, a die hard Yankee fan did not know Gil Hodges managed the Miracle Mets. He has grown to appreciate this man's strength of character. Thank you for the insight into the "Quiet Man" and his neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pleasure was mine. Thanks for stopping by, and a special thanks for your comments. Our collective insights reaffirm the great man he was. I'm glad my personal recollection was helpful.

      Delete

Say what you feel. The worse comment you can make is the one you do not make.