Sunday, December 02, 2018

N.Y. Rangers: Sudden Woes Continue in Canada

From the desk of:  RAISE GRESCHNER WITH THE GREATS


Retire Ron Greschner's Number!

Sorry, my baseball withdrawal varies from season to season.  It took me longer to kick it this year than others.  I was over it rather quickly last season, but in a rare instance this year's extended through November.  And so, here I am, 27-games into the season, my loss.

I'm essentially picking up where I left off last season.  Therefore I'll be brief.  

David Quinn is cool with me; I presently have no issues.  In fact, he's already a considerable improvement over the previous administration.  The differences in style and the team's level of grittiness are stark.  His sensibilities are far more in line with my own than those of his predecessor's.

In the bigger picture, I'm more concerned with Jeff Gorton's continuing rebuilding efforts.  How far will he go?  Because if we're really talking rebuild, that entails stripping it down.  Last year's deadline transactions were a great start.  As this season's trade deadline approaches, I plead for more of the same.  I love MatZucs, but he's right to expect a trade.  Zuccarello along with Chris Kreider should be moved.  And by no means should Jeff Gorton stop there (if you know what I mean...).

That being said, there's also a "here and now" element to rebuilding.  Newcomers Ryan Strome and Ryan Spooner are savvy acquisitions, as were bringing Adam McQuaid and Cody McLeod into the fold.

Otherwise, I entered this season with no expectations.  And so far, the Rangers are off to a positive start.  In a recent eleven game stretch (Oct. 30 through Nov. 21), they posted a 9-1-1 record.  But if you've noticed, the Rangers have struggled ever since both McQuaid and McLeod were recently lost to injury.  The Rangers are now 1-4-0 in their last five.  Both their respective absences were clearly evident during one-sided losses against the Flyers and Caps.  Then after splitting a home/home series with Ottawa, Montreal took their turn pushing the Blueshirts around on Saturday, as will other bigger teams when the Rangers play without either McQuaid or McLeod, or in this case minus both.

In support of Jeff Gorton (whom I believe forced Glen Sather's hand thereby releasing his grip on the organization), I like what I see.  My hope is he remains disciplined and committed.  Rangers fans are behind this.  Meaning there's every reason to get this done right.

#LGR



No comments:

Post a Comment

Say what you feel. The worse comment you can make is the one you do not make.