Saturday, June 01, 2013

N.Y. Rangers: Shouldn't Always Give Players What They Want

From the desk of:   RAISE GRESCH WITH THE GREATS




NEW YORK RANGERS - Glen Sather Set A Bad Precedence.

YOU CAN'T ALWAYS GIVE PLAYERS WHAT THEY WANT


I am not at all interested in having Mark Messier, Brian Leetch, Wayne Gretzky or Adam Graves become the new bench coach of the New York Rangers  - none.  I would consider Adam Graves as the new GM though.  But we know that isn't happening any time soon.  Nor do I want ex-Buffalo coach Lindy Ruff - the change would not be as dramatic as needed.  For some reason, when I think Mark Messier as coach, I think Phil Esposito.


Although, it became apparently clear the exit interviews didn't go well, I still do not necessarily believe you should give players what they want.  John Tortortella needed to change, but he kept the team accountable, and on edge, and I like that.  That's not to say Mark Messier wouldn't as well.  Even though he and Glen Sather are joined at the hip, I strongly believe this is hardly the time for head coaching experimentation.  Of the leading candidates, Dave Tippett interests me the most, followed by Alain Vigneault.


The Rangers took a considerable step back this last season.  The team was glaringly void of last year's toughness, and stripped of its depth.  The power play was completely defective.  Some players woefully underachieved, and injuries took their toll.  For all that, fair or not, Torts paid a stiff price.  I'm still not convinced this was in the best interest of the team.  Okay, the players got a coach fired - what happens to the next guy now?  Glen Sather set a bad precedence.



Mike.BTB

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say what you feel. The worse comment you can make is the one you do not make.