Wednesday, July 18, 2012

N.Y. Mets ~ Squirming Around in a Blue and Orange Petri Dish

From the desk of:   HEAD-BUTTING MR. MET







NEW YORK METS:  Especially With This Team, Perspective, and Perception, are Everything.


Forty percent of the Mets' starting pitching is on the disabled list.  The bullpen continues to blow games at an alarming rate.  For the first time this season, the Mets have lost five games in a row.  And today they find themselves seven games out of first place, and three and a half games shy of a Wild Card spot.


Having fun yet?  I still am.  But apparently, a Mets fan I know isn't.  And where there is one, there are more.


This afternoon I felt a fellow Met fan friend of mine needed some correction.  When we started discussing Tuesday night's game, he became defiantly rigid in his opinion.  He started right in on Fred Wilpon.  Now there's a name we haven't heard mentioned much, if at all, since March.  And with the unexpected winning the team has achieved this season, Mr. Wilpon has been out of sight and out of mind.  Upon the Mets losing their fifth game in a row, Mr. Wilpon was one of my friend's first targets.  Then to any of my points, he continually countered with one catch-all phrase - "They Suck.  No, they just suck."  This was clearly anger speaking.  Because he's much more intellectual than that.  But we did enjoy a good laugh over me calling him a schmuck though.


That's life in a Mets' petri dish folks.


If the old-guard Mets were two games over .500, I'd be freaking out too.  But with this younger group of players coming together, and starting to form a solid nucleus, I'm actually quite content; five game losing streak, bullpen, and all.


The bullpen is Sandy Alderson's little pet project.  Deal with that separately.  As I keep reminding folks, the Mets are still a rebuilding team.  And aside from the bullpen, the rest of the club has evolved nicely so far.


But if you're hell bent on making the playoffs this season, well then, I guess they do suck right now.  Just don't bug me with that noise.





Mike.BTB

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say what you feel. The worse comment you can make is the one you do not make.