Monday, April 12, 2010

Week One METrospections

Today is the one week mark of the 2010 season.  If you're a Met fan, it's week 26 of the 2009 season.

It's not wrong to take this tone.  The Mets lost their two opening series' of 2010 to the two teams we are hoping to finish the season ahead of in our division.  We lost two of three to the Marlins and we lost two of three to the Nationals.  Both times we lost the rubber game of the series.  It's not necessarily the loosing that bewilders me.  It's the manner of play that irks me.  In the first 6 games of the season at home, I've seen way too much bad base running, poor fundamentals,  lack of situational awareness, no clutch hitting and everything else you would think this team should have purged itself from the 2007 thru 2009 seasons.

Jerry Manuel questioned the team's intensity after 6 games into the season.  If he can do it why can't I?
Oh, by the way.....Hey Jerry!!!  That's your job!!  You have one job - get your team ready to play!  If you come out and say they aren't playing with intensity, are you talking to me or Omar?  Because if you're talking to me, I'm telling you to update your resume.  If you're talking to Omar, I'm still telling you to update your resume.

I still see the same issues that have plagued this team, injuries aside.  They just have not played good fundamental baseball under Jerry Manuel.  Period.  I'm just saying.  I'm not rushing to fire Manuel, per say.  But when you continually do the things you've done wrong, wrong - I think it's time to stop the insanity already.  For Manuel to say something like that, he's just indicting himself.

Two wins versus four losses, six games into the season isn't what's bothering me.  Loosing to the teams you're supposed to finish ahead of in the standings isn't what's bothering me.

What's bothering me is I'm watching a continuation of the 2007, 2008, 2009 debacles.  I see nothing different in this team's disposition or demeanor.  The hustle isn't there.  A disregard for fundamentals is!
They still aren't running balls out and it's bit them in the butt EVERY time!  That's what bothers me.  It's not coming from new guy KRod, it's not coming from semi-new guy Santana, it's not coming from new guy Bay.....it's coming from the players that have been here for a bit who are still committing the same mental gaffes they've been committing for 3 years.

I want to change the channel and get some new stuff to watch.  Every time I channel surf though, all I see is NY Mets re-runs from the last 3 years. 

Enough!  Jerry, seriously, start updating your resume.  I know that's still not going to help this team.  Their problems are more deep rooted than just Manuel.  If April 12th seems a little too early for some Spring Cleaning in Flushing....I submit to you week 26 of 2009 is too late then.

It's not short sightedness or impatience.  It's called being tired of the same brown bag of burning dung on my porch.  But this time I'm not going to try and stamp it out and track all that stuff in my house.  NO!  This time I'm scooping it up and flinging it into the fan.  Let someone else be in the way this time because they're trying my patience awfully early this time around.

By the way...Don't expect the Beltran of old when he returns.  It's just not going to happen.

Rain goes for the Mets tonight in the opening game of the series with Colorado.  The forcast calls for 40 mph winds in Denver tonight.  Wind and Rain is not a good mix.  The Rockies are a good team.  I hope the Mets packed their intensity for this trip.  Otherwise things may get real ugly.  And yes I know!  It really is too early for this.

That is all.  Go back to your farms now.  There's nothing more to see here.

http://thebrooklyntrolleyblogger.mlblogs.com/
http://thebrooklyntrolleyblogger.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say what you feel. The worse comment you can make is the one you do not make.